Unfortunately, this scheme has never worked well for me at Mixed Meters. I'm not good at liking things. This year I decided to apply the Mixed Meters philosophy ("do the exact opposite") to the year-end list idea.
Here is the result:
Things I Hate
- I hate it when the weather is really hot (or really cold).
- I hate shredded coconut.
- I hate waking up early.
- I hate my ISP.
- I hate Internet flash mob videos where orchestras perform classical music in public places as if "by accident".
- I hate that the commercials are louder than the programs.
- I hate it when the news makes me feel that there is no hope.
- I hate that the average American watches 5 hours of television per day.
- I hate any television show or movie which features zombies.
- I hate discussions, movies, scientific theories and religions on the subject of how the world will end.
- I hate companies that use automatic dialing devices to spam my telephone.
- I hate mega-corporations, Walmart in particular.
- I hate it when someone says that corporations are people.
- I hate that businesses have become so big that they harm individual Americans.
- I hate that copyrights have become corporate assets.
- I hate that politics has become mostly lying.
- I hate noticing similarities between the actions of the US and those of the Empire in Star Wars.
- I hate that the election of the first black US president has caused a resurgence of overt racism.
- I hate neo-liberals. Also neo-conservatives.
- I hate the way Republicans in Congress behave. Other Republicans too.
- I hate that some rich people have become too rich and too powerful.
- I hate that separation between church and state is decreasing.
- I hate that so many people can't find a balance between god and science.
- I hate the philosophy of Ayn Rand.
- I hate the notion that a gun makes you safe. Also that more guns make you safer.
- I hate it when the value of things is confused with their cost in money.
- I hate when people make belonging to (or rooting for) particular teams part of their identities.
- I hate it when someone acts like they know everything about anything. (Double for radio announcers on classical music stations)
- I hate all the loopholes.
- I hate hate.
The pictures above are some of my personal 2013 faves which I posted on my picture blog Mixed Messages. Here's Mixed Meters' 2012 end-of-year "list":